Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Graph Question

Hi

I am using Excel 2000. I have created a 100% stacked column graph. I want to
display the percentages on the face of the columns themselves. When I format
the data series and go to data labels the show percent is greyed out.
Probably because % is already shown on the Y axis. However, I also want them
to be shown on the columns themselves.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Brendan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Only a pie chart can show percentages when only the regular values are used
to create the chart.

Calculate the percentages in the worksheet, plot these, and your data labels
will show percentages when you use the 'show value' option.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel 2000. I have created a 100% stacked column graph. I want
display the percentages on the face of the columns themselves. When I
format
the data series and go to data labels the show percent is greyed out.
Probably because % is already shown on the Y axis. However, I also want
them
to be shown on the columns themselves.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What does one do if you require a table of the actual data and need the
percentage values shown on the face of each bar? I need excel to calculate
these percentages based on the hard data I have used as my graph's source
data. Is there a way to do this?

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel 2000. I have created a 100% stacked column graph. I want
display the percentages on the face of the columns themselves. When I
format
the data series and go to data labels the show percent is greyed out.
Probably because % is already shown on the Y axis. However, I also want
them
to be shown on the columns themselves.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As I said:

Calculate the percentages in the worksheet, plot these, and your data
labels
will show percentages when you use the 'show value' option.

This means you have two ranges, one with original values, which you can
format nicely for the printed report, and one with percentages which you can
move out of view but use for the chart source data.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Only a pie chart can show percentages when only the regular values are
used
to create the chart.

Calculate the percentages in the worksheet, plot these, and your data
labels
will show percentages when you use the 'show value' option.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel 2000. I have created a 100% stacked column graph. I
want
display the percentages on the face of the columns themselves. When I
format
the data series and go to data labels the show percent is greyed out.
Probably because % is already shown on the Y axis. However, I also want
them
to be shown on the columns themselves.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was thinking more along the lines of using the 'show table' feature of the
excel graph so that the colors on the graph correspond to the colors in the
legend of the table beneath the graph. This is where I would like the actual
data to appear and would like the %values to appear on the face.
I think you answered my question though; this fairly simple task cannot be
accomodated by Excel without a lot of manual manipulation (hint hint to MS).

Thank you Jon :)

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel 2000. I have created a 100% stacked column graph. I
want
display the percentages on the face of the columns themselves. When I
format
the data series and go to data labels the show percent is greyed out.
Probably because % is already shown on the Y axis. However, I also want
them
to be shown on the columns themselves.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Those data tables are a royal pain, because you can't do much with them. If
they do enough for you, construct the chart with the actual values, so the
data table gets them right. Calculate the percentages as before in another
range, then use one of these utilities to assign these calculated values to
the points as labels:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon