Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy and Fill to another column

I'm trying to find a way to copy the Qty from Column "C" and paste into
Column "D"
next to it's respective hardware cell(s). I hope the follwoing shows what
I'm trying to explain...

This is what I have:
A B C

Title Param Part Qty
D01 Part # 10-32 | BOLT, HEX DRIVE
D01 Part # 10-32 | COLLAR
D01 Qty 6
D02 Part # SPECIAL | NUT, CLIP-ON
D02 Qty 7
D03 Part # 1/4-20 | BOLT, HEX DRIVE
D03 Part # 1/4-20 | COLLAR
D03 Qty 8
D34 Part # 3/8" | BOLT
D34 Part # 3/8" | WASHER, PLAIN
D34 Part # 3/8" | BUSHING, PLAIN
D34 Part # 3/8" | WASHER, PLAIN
D34 Part # 3/8" | NUT, SELF-LOCKING
D34 Qty 2
D21 Part # 10-32 | WASHER, SPRING
D21 Part # 10-32 | WASHER, PLAIN
D21 Part # S.S | WASHER, PLAIN
D21 Part # S.S | NUT, HEX
D21 Qty 1
D26 Part # 5/16 | RIVET, UNIVERSAL HD
D26 Qty 8

This is what I'm trying to get to:
A B C

Title Param Part Qty
D01 Part # 10-32 | BOLT, HEX DRIVE 6
D01 Part # 10-32 | COLLAR 6
D01 Qty 6
D02 Part # SPECIAL | NUT, CLIP-ON 7
D02 Qty 7
D03 Part # 1/4-20 | BOLT, HEX DRIVE 8
D03 Part # 1/4-20 | COLLAR 8
D03 Qty 8
D34 Part # 3/8" | BOLT 2
D34 Part # 3/8" | WASHER, PLAIN 2
D34 Part # 3/8" | BUSHING, PLAIN 2
D34 Part # 3/8" | WASHER, PLAIN 2
D34 Part # 3/8" | NUT, SELF-LOCKING 2
D34 Qty 2
D21 Part # 10-32 | WASHER, SPRING 1
D21 Part # 10-32 | WASHER, PLAIN 1
D21 Part # S.S | WASHER, PLAIN 1
D21 Part # S.S | NUT, HEX 1
D21 Qty 1
D26 Part # 5/16 | RIVET, UNIVERSAL HD 8
D26 Qty 8

There can be as few as 1 or as many as 7 rows of hardware needed to copy
quantities to. I've tried pivot tables, but have not had any luck. Does
anyone know if this even possible with a macro?
Thanks for any help.
Tony
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One way ..
Assuming posted data is in row 2 down
Place this expression into D2's formula bar,
then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to "array-enter" & confirm the formula
(instead of just pressing ENTER):
=IF(B2="Qty","",INDEX($C$2:$C$200,MATCH(1,($A$2:$A $200=A2)*($B$2:$B$200="Qty"),0)))
Copy D2 down as far as required. Tested here on your data as posted, it
returns the indicated results that you're after, exactly. Adapt the ranges to
suit the extent of your actual data.
--
Max
Singapore
"Tony S." wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Max,
That may just do the trick. The only wrinkle is I have to got to a meeting
and won't be able to play until tomorrow. I'll let you know.

"Tony S." wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Max, it worked great! Thank you very much. I wish I knew where to learn stuff
like CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to "array-enter" & confirm the formula as well as
writing the formula. You were a big help.
Tony

"Tony S." wrote in message
Hi Max,
That may just do the trick. The only wrinkle is I have to got to a meeting
and won't be able to play until tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Pleased to hear that, Tony. Thanks for the feedback.

If you browse around the postings/responses in this newsgroup & in
..worksheet.functions, you're bound to come across many other examples of
array formulas.