Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula or Macro

I am tired of looking up and typing in each employees pay scale. Their names
are always in A and rate of pay in D. How can I solve this.
Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since D holds the pay scale which is the the rate of pay, what is your
question? Try phrasing the question so it can be answered.

Meadowlark wrote:

I am tired of looking up and typing in each employees pay scale. Their names
are always in A and rate of pay in D. How can I solve this.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a vlookup. If the employee names are in A1:A100 and pay rate in D1:D100
and the employee name you're looking up is in E1 then
=VLOOKUP(E1,A1:D100,4,FALSE)
The employee name in E1 has to exactly match the name in A1:A100. The names
do not have to be in sequence.

Tyro

"Meadowlark" wrote in message
I am tired of looking up and typing in each employees pay scale. Their
names
are always in A and rate of pay in D. How can I solve this.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Just to add-on to Tyro's comment:
I should also point out that the employee names should be unique.

Names are seldom unique.
Better to use staff/employee ids as the lookups,
if available (usually assigned by the HR dept)
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you all for your very timely replies. You were right Bob, I didn't
give much of a question. What I was trying to say is there are 12 employees,
each with different names. When entered on the ss all are in column A and
their individiual rate of pay in column D. I just wondered if I could
alleviate entering that each time by IFA=JIM D=54.00. Thanks again