Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OG OG is offline

Default Excel malfunction

When I use autosum function some cells fill with a row of hash symbols
although correct sum is visible on toolbar at top. How do I stop this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The #'s are telling you that your column is not wide enough to display the
result. Widen the column.

Tyro

"OG" wrote in message
When I use autosum function some cells fill with a row of hash symbols
although correct sum is visible on toolbar at top. How do I stop this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If by hash symbols you mean #, then all you need to do is widen your columns
that display them. The indicate that Excel has a number it cannot display
because the column is not wide enought.

Hope this helps...
--
Kevin Backmann

"OG" wrote:

When I use autosum function some cells fill with a row of hash symbols
although correct sum is visible on toolbar at top. How do I stop this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make the column wider. Drag the edge of the column header until the #### go
away.

The "Toolbar on top" is known as the Formula Bar

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:04:00 -0800, OG wrote:

When I use autosum function some cells fill with a row of hash symbols
although correct sum is visible on toolbar at top. How do I stop this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or use a smaller font.

Or even:
Format|cells|alignment tab|check shrink to fit.

or change the format of the cell to general. Excel will drop any decimals it
can to try to make it fit in the cell. (But you'll still see #### if the cell
is too narrow for the integer portion.)

OG wrote:

When I use autosum function some cells fill with a row of hash symbols
although correct sum is visible on toolbar at top. How do I stop this?

--

Dave Peterson