Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text always slides below bottom of row

This has driven me nuts for too long (years). I am tracking lots of textual
data in a spreadsheet. I sort and re-sort constantly. Many of the rows (not
all of them) with lots of text have the text dropping out of sight below the
row. I've tried to fix this with AutoFit but the fix is temporary...next
sort, it happens again. So I'm constantly pulling down the bottom of all rows
to reveal the hidden data. Worse, it stays hidden on the printout, when
that's not a solution. Does this happen to anyone else?
--
Jeff Hickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, but no, that' s the issue...wrapping the text fixes it when it
extends to the right, off the screen. My text is extending below the bottom
of the cell, and the text is already wrapped. I want to know why text slides
below the bottom of the cell, not to the right of the cell
--
Jeff Hickey

"jeffhi" wrote:

This has driven me nuts for too long (years). I am tracking lots of textual
data in a spreadsheet. I sort and re-sort constantly. Many of the rows (not
all of them) with lots of text have the text dropping out of sight below the
row. I've tried to fix this with AutoFit but the fix is temporary...next
sort, it happens again. So I'm constantly pulling down the bottom of all rows
to reveal the hidden data. Worse, it stays hidden on the printout, when
that's not a solution. Does this happen to anyone else?
--
Jeff Hickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jeff

This is something I've learned to live with, though I don't often
manipulate large text entries. Primarily, Excel is for calculating
with numbers, but it also has some text processing capabilities.
However, it is not a full-featured text manipulation application, so
you have to put up with its limitations if you want to use it. It does
not automatically adjust the row height correctly with wrapped text.

Pete

"jeffhi" wrote:

This has driven me nuts for too long (years). I am tracking lots of textual
data in a spreadsheet. I sort and re-sort constantly. Many of the rows (not
all of them) with lots of text have the text dropping out of sight below the
row. I've tried to fix this with AutoFit but the fix is temporary...next
sort, it happens again. So I'm constantly pulling down the bottom of all rows
to reveal the hidden data. Worse, it stays hidden on the printout, when
that's not a solution. Does this happen to anyone else?
--
Jeff Hickey- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Pete. I'm in the middle of a "Well...duh..." moment. That's why I'm
having this problem. Excel is not for large text blocks, even though that's
what I use it for, because it works most of the time, and so there are these
limitations to it. I guess I'll have to go with smaller chunks of text.
--
Jeff Hickey