Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default without macros, how can one create labels in excel

I do not yet know macros. I would like to create a label template allowing
information to be written and that would automatically add a label #. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know that there's a way to do this without macro coding of some type.
Excel does not have the ability to change a value in a cell to keep an
updated count. That is to say, you can't say "take a value in a cell, add
one to it and replace the value in the original cell with that new value".
Not with worksheet functions.

A source of a couple of solutions for the matter can be found on J.E.
McGimpsey's site and they seem to be the de facto standard for doing this
kind of thing:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

"DooDah" wrote:

I do not yet know macros. I would like to create a label template allowing
information to be written and that would automatically add a label #. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you attempting to create something like raffle tickets with a sequential
number for each ticket?

I would not bother making the tickets in Excel.

Have the information in Excel with a column of numbers 1 to whatever you need
for amount of tickets.

Then use Word mailmerge for the tickets. One of the fields will be the column
of numbers.

New number for each ticket assuming each record is on one row.

Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these
sites for help.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP