Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Remove leading zeros

We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not work. Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
are all the emp number the same length????
try this....
=VALUE(LEFT(A7,7))

regards
FSt1

"Machel" wrote:

Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is from a previous post...
******************************
Try this array formula** :

=MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1 ))),1)<"0",0),255)

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)
***************************************
Note that the function is volatile so once you have removed the zeros you
may want to copy and paste sepcial values to improve the calculation
efficiency...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Machel" wrote:

We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not work. Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try =VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))&","

--

"Machel" wrote in message
Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the
comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not
work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another possibility...

=--LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)&","

Rick

"Machel" wrote in message
Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the
comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not
work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the way, are **all** your entries always 7 digits followed by a comma? If
so, the formula I posted can be simplified...

=--LEFT(A1,7)&","

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Another possibility...

=--LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)&","

Rick

"Machel" wrote in message
Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the
comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which
we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS
we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not
work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not stuck anymore - now I have a choice of solutions. Thanks so much!!

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Another possibility...

=--LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)&","

Rick

"Machel" wrote in message
Thank you for your response! That did not work - I think because of the
comma
at the end of each number - which we do need.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Try =VALUE(A1)
best wishes
--

"Machel" wrote in message
We are uploading data from another application to a .txt file and then
opening the .txt in Excel 2003. The data is employee numbers, which we
are
copying and pasting into our learning management system. In the LMS we
need
the number without the leading zeros. Formating as number does not
work.
Do
you know a formula we could use to remove the zeros when the number of
leading zeros varies? This is an example of the data:
0026278,
0067405,
0000042,
0108500,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alternately, change the .txt extension to .csv and double click the file.

Excel will then open the file without the leading zeroes.

--
Saruman

All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Symantec Antivirus 10