Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default CountIf using every other column

Excel 2003 - I am trying to count the number of times the number "2" appears
in column A1, C1, E1, G1, I1, etc. I am trying to use the countif function,
but it won't work. I can't just select every other column like I need to, it
wants me to select the entire range if that makes sense.

Is there anyway I can do this and only look at every other column or every
3rd column?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=COUNTIF(A:A,2) + COUNTIF(C:C,2) + .......etc.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"duketter" wrote:

Excel 2003 - I am trying to count the number of times the number "2" appears
in column A1, C1, E1, G1, I1, etc. I am trying to use the countif function,
but it won't work. I can't just select every other column like I need to, it
wants me to select the entire range if that makes sense.

Is there anyway I can do this and only look at every other column or every
3rd column?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might also find this posting useful. They are talking about using
COUNTIF with noncontinuous ranges, and gives an alternative solution to the
one above...

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,
Michelle

"duketter" wrote:

Excel 2003 - I am trying to count the number of times the number "2" appears
in column A1, C1, E1, G1, I1, etc. I am trying to use the countif function,
but it won't work. I can't just select every other column like I need to, it
wants me to select the entire range if that makes sense.

Is there anyway I can do this and only look at every other column or every
3rd column?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

count the number of times the number "2" appears in
column A1, C1, E1, G1, I1, etc.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(A1:I1)-COLUMN(A1),2)=0),--(A1:I1=2))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP