Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lists and restricting inputs to cells

Hi,

I am developing a data capture spreadsheet and have started applying lists
to various cells to aid the users when completing the form. I am conscious
that I will not be able to provide a comprehensive list of possible answers
and so I want the list to act as a guide but if the user wants to add
something else they can.

Does anyone know if this is possible ad if so how I can do this?

cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try Data Validation lists but uncheck error message checkbox in Data
validation Dialog, thus users can enter data beyond those in the list!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛kippers€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi,

I am developing a data capture spreadsheet and have started applying lists
to various cells to aid the users when completing the form. I am conscious
that I will not be able to provide a comprehensive list of possible answers
and so I want the list to act as a guide but if the user wants to add
something else they can.

Does anyone know if this is possible ad if so how I can do this?

cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cheers Stefi

do you know if there is any way to prepopulate cells with values (examples)
that then disappear when the user clicks on the cell?

"Stefi" wrote:

Try Data Validation lists but uncheck error message checkbox in Data
validation Dialog, thus users can enter data beyond those in the list!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛kippers€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi,

I am developing a data capture spreadsheet and have started applying lists
to various cells to aid the users when completing the form. I am conscious
that I will not be able to provide a comprehensive list of possible answers
and so I want the list to act as a guide but if the user wants to add
something else they can.

Does anyone know if this is possible ad if so how I can do this?

cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no way to fill a series of example values into a single cell. Data
validation list is intended for selecting a value from a predefined list.
When a cell with a Data validation list is selected, a dropdown arrow is
displayed next to the cell. Clicking on the arrow the predefined list is
displayed and you can click on the requested item in the list.

Try it!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛kippers€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

Try Data Validation lists but uncheck error message checkbox in Data
validation Dialog, thus users can enter data beyond those in the list!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛kippers€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi,

I am developing a data capture spreadsheet and have started applying lists
to various cells to aid the users when completing the form. I am conscious
that I will not be able to provide a comprehensive list of possible answers
and so I want the list to act as a guide but if the user wants to add
something else they can.

Does anyone know if this is possible ad if so how I can do this?

cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Of course you can place any single example value in a cell. The cell content
doesn't disappear when you click on the cell but does disappear when you
start typing new data into the cell.
Stefi

€˛kippers€¯ ezt Ć*rta: