Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Upper or Lower case

Is there a function that'll tell me whether a single character in a cell is
upper or lower case? IsUpper() would be nice, but it ain't there ;)

Currently I'm just doing a case-sensitive sort to isolate them, but I'm
hoping for something quicker.

thx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:47:01 -0800, Ed Cones
wrote:

Is there a function that'll tell me whether a single character in a cell is
upper or lower case? IsUpper() would be nice, but it ain't there ;)

Currently I'm just doing a case-sensitive sort to isolate them, but I'm
hoping for something quicker.

thx

=EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1))

will return true if the letter in A1 is uppercase; otherwise it will return
FALSE.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your single character is in A1 you could this to determine if the
character is upper case: =AND(CODE(A1)=CODE("A"),CODE(A1)<=CODE("Z"))
That returns TRUE if the character is upper case, FALSE if not. Or you could
adapt it to look at specific characters in a word by using the LEFT, RIGHT
or MID
functions.

Tyro

"Ed Cones" wrote in message
Is there a function that'll tell me whether a single character in a cell
is
upper or lower case? IsUpper() would be nice, but it ain't there ;)

Currently I'm just doing a case-sensitive sort to isolate them, but I'm
hoping for something quicker.

thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note: you can use Ed's formula in FormatConditional FormattingFormula is to
color any UPPER cases.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

Is there a function that'll tell me whether a single character in a cell is
upper or lower case? IsUpper() would be nice, but it ain't there ;)

Currently I'm just doing a case-sensitive sort to isolate them, but I'm
hoping for something quicker.

thx

=EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1))

will return true if the letter in A1 is uppercase; otherwise it will return
FALSE.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:16:02 -0800, Ed Cones
wrote:

Thanks Ron. Exactly what I needed -- no pun intended.

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:35:02 -0800, Ed Cones
wrote:

I used =IF(ISBLANK(D1),1,IF(EXACT(D1,UPPER(D1)),0,1)), then sorted on the
column to float the upper-case cells to the top. Both your solutions work
well. Many thanks.

If you want to return a 1 or a 0, depending on if there is a capital letter,
versus anything else, you could use this formula also:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT(A1,CHAR(ROW($65:$90))))

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jeez! Made me think ;o)

I now understand way more about the row() function, the sumproduct()
function and arrays. thx.