Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Decimals?

How do I keep excel from taking away the decimals that I type in.

I typed 10.500, and it automatically changes to 10.5

How do I fix it?
--
Have a fantastic day!

Tricia LeAnn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to set the number format (Format menu, Cells item) to something
like #,##0.000

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Tricia LeAnn" wrote in message
How do I keep excel from taking away the decimals that I type in.

I typed 10.500, and it automatically changes to 10.5

How do I fix it?
--
Have a fantastic day!

Tricia LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is easy if you have a fixed format.

Say we are typing in column A and we want always want 4 decimal digits:
1.2345

Format Cells... Number Number and decimal places 4

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"Tricia LeAnn" wrote:

How do I keep excel from taking away the decimals that I type in.

I typed 10.500, and it automatically changes to 10.5

How do I fix it?
--
Have a fantastic day!

Tricia LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to custom format the cell to display the 0's, as in #0.000.or
#,0.000 if you want commas. It is not necessary to type 10.500. Just typing
10.5 will do if you format the cells. Unless you format the cells Excel does
not display leading 0's before the decimal point or trailing 0's after the
decimal point.

Tyro

"Tricia LeAnn" wrote in message
How do I keep excel from taking away the decimals that I type in.

I typed 10.500, and it automatically changes to 10.5

How do I fix it?
--
Have a fantastic day!

Tricia LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If all the numbers will have three decimal places, you could format the cell
as a number having 3 decimal places.
Right-click the cell or range of cells and select 'Format cells'. Select
'Number' and then adjust the decimal places as appropriate.

HTH,
Paul