Marsha

Default filtering help

My boss uses filtering to to look up information. Normally she can filter on
column A, which is what she wants to do. Now when she highlights column A
and filters, the drop-down arrow appears on column K. What could be
preventing the drop-down arrow from staying on column A? Thanks.
Dave Peterson

Make sure she removed any previous Autofilter.
Data|filter|autofilter (not checked)

Then select the whole range (not just a column) and apply
data|filter|autofilter.

Excel likes to remember what you previously did. Sometimes, it's not what you
want.

I select the whole range and don't leave it to excel to guess what I want.

--

Dave Peterson
Marsha

Do you think there is some way we've told the filter to always go to a
specific column rather than column A? Is there anything in Tools, options,
that would do this or undo it? Thanks so much.

Marsha wrote:

My boss uses filtering to to look up information. Normally she can filter on
column A, which is what she wants to do. Now when she highlights column A
and filters, the drop-down arrow appears on column K. What could be
preventing the drop-down arrow from staying on column A? Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I don't think that there's anything in Tools|options that will affect this (or
networking).

I think it's just excel's way to "help" you by remembering what you did before.

If all she wants to do is filter by column A, selecting column A first should
work, too.