Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I change - to ()

How do I get it so that if I put a - sign it changes to ( ) around the numbers?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With a Custom Format such as 0.00;(0.00)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Caron" wrote in message
How do I get it so that if I put a - sign it changes to ( ) around the
numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format Cell... Number (1234.10)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Caron" wrote in message

How do I get it so that if I put a - sign it changes to ( ) around the
numbers?

As Bernard said, you need a custom number format.

To do this, highlight the cell (or cells) that you wish to format.
Right click and choose Format Cells..

Under the 'Number' Tab, choose 'Custom' from the list, where you'll
see a list of custom formats which have already been set up for you.

In the box which appears under the label 'Type', enter what Bernard
explained (ie type "0.00;(0.00)" into the box) and then click ok.
This will set up the number format as you wish.

Hope this helps,
Matt Richardson
http://teachr.blogspot.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could change the format of the cell, but if you want the ()'s to show up for
negative numbers in the format|cells|number tab, you'll have to change a windows
setting.

Windows start button|control panel
regional and language options
regional options tab
click the customize button
currency tab
change the negative currency format to show ()'s.

Caron wrote:

How do I get it so that if I put a - sign it changes to ( ) around the numbers?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If negative brackets are not available in the NumberNegative Numbers dialog.

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

StartSettingsControl PanelRegional and Language SettingsRegional
OptionsCustomizeCurrencyNegative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OKApply your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP