Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Paste Problem Between Ex 97 vs 2k

I have both excel 97 and 2000 running on sperate pcs.

I have been running a routin for a couple years on the 97 version
where I manually copy a web page (Ctl A and Ctl C) and then paste the
contents
into excel (ctl V). From there i run a macro that cleans up the the
content into the raw data I need. Been working well, no issues.

I'm now trying to do the same routine on my other box w/ Excel 2000 on
windows XP. When i try to manually paste the web page data into Excel I
recieve a message "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data".

I've looked at MS Knowledge base for this type of error with no
results or help. I've also posted here previously and rec'd no replies.
Hate to think I've got everyone stumped on this one? LOL

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have any merged cells in the worksheet that you are trying to
paste into?

Does it still work using Excel 97 (i.e. no recent changes to the web
site)?

Pete

On Jan 30, 12:52*pm, DaveM wrote:
I have both excel 97 and 2000 running on sperate pcs.

I have been running a routin for a couple years on the 97 version
where I manually copy a web page (Ctl A and Ctl C) and then paste the
contents
into excel (ctl V). *From there i run a macro that cleans up the the
content into the raw data I need. *Been working well, no issues.

I'm now trying to do the same routine on my other box w/ Excel 2000 on
windows XP. *When i try to manually paste the web page data into Excel I
recieve a message "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data".

I've looked at MS Knowledge base for this type of error with no
results or help. *I've also posted here previously and rec'd no replies. *
Hate to think I've got everyone stumped on this one? *LOL

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks Peter, specific to your questions

1. No merged cells. The sheet that i'm pasting in to is a blank sheet.

2. I would say yes it still works in '97. I have two pcs, one up in til
last week had '97 and the other had 2000. Before this weekend i have
experienced this problem if i tried running this routine on the 2000 pc
though it ran fine on the '97 excel. The problem is I had to reload my OS on
the older unit this weekend and I only have office 2000 to put back on it,
leaving me with two pcs both having excel 2k on it. And, unfortunately i
have to deal with this problem now since i no longer have 97 avaiable.

Please any help would be appreciated.

DAve

On Jan 30, 12:52 pm, DaveM wrote:
I have both excel 97 and 2000 running on sperate pcs.

I have been running a routin for a couple years on the 97 version
where I manually copy a web page (Ctl A and Ctl C) and then paste the
contents
into excel (ctl V). From there i run a macro that cleans up the the
content into the raw data I need. Been working well, no issues.

I'm now trying to do the same routine on my other box w/ Excel 2000 on
windows XP. When i try to manually paste the web page data into Excel I
recieve a message "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data".

I've looked at MS Knowledge base for this type of error with no
results or help. I've also posted here previously and rec'd no replies.
Hate to think I've got everyone stumped on this one? LOL

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So, there could have been a change to that website in the last few
days, but you don't have an XL97 version available to test it on now?
Are you able to paste the data into Word, or Notepad, or do they also
prevent you from pasting?

Pete

On Jan 30, 12:52 pm, DaveM wrote:
I have both excel 97 and 2000 running on sperate pcs.

I have been running a routin for a couple years on the 97 version
where I manually copy a web page (Ctl A and Ctl C) and then paste the
contents
into excel (ctl V). *From there i run a macro that cleans up the the
content into the raw data I need. *Been working well, no issues.

I'm now trying to do the same routine on my other box w/ Excel 2000 on
windows XP. *When i try to manually paste the web page data into Excel I
recieve a message "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data".

I've looked at MS Knowledge base for this type of error with no
results or help. *I've also posted here previously and rec'd no replies. *
Hate to think I've got everyone stumped on this one? *LOL

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thx
Dave- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Highly unlikely of a change to the web site as I've had this problem w/ 2000
for the past year, this is why i've used my office 97 version pc to do this
work.

I did try to paste into Word and it did this ok and if i copy from word to
the excel 2k it places all the data in Column A. I could rewrite my macro
which previouly parsed the old web data around. This would just be one more
manual step to use Word and an intermediate step....

Let's see if I can get this to work.

Thx Peter