Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot table from 2003 to 2007

I have upgraded to excel 2007 and am having a problem saving items down to
2003. Specifically, If you create a pivot table that uses the entire column
as a range in 2007 and then save the file down to 2003, it converts the pivot
table to values.

Now I realize that there are more rows in 2007 than 2003, but that does not
seem like a logical answer. I have 15,000 rows of data...well below the
limit in both 2003 and 2007.

Any insights..this is a major problem for me. I create the pivot tables
with open ranges to allow me to update the data set on a daily basis from a
system feed. I need it to dynamically set the range..the only good answer i
came up with is to open up the range.

As always appreciate any help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pivotman

This is an area you will really struggle with when backward saving an XL2007
file.

This was completely re-worked... compact form, number of unique items, etc,
etc were all extended an 'improved'.

Certainly I would start with a file in Compatibility Mode as this will
restrict you to 2003 limits and features. take note of the compatibility
checker when saving and really, use 2003 if your users are mainly on that,
or the superb additional features of 2007 if your audience uses it too!

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"PivotMan" wrote in message
I have upgraded to excel 2007 and am having a problem saving items down to
2003. Specifically, If you create a pivot table that uses the entire
column
as a range in 2007 and then save the file down to 2003, it converts the
pivot
table to values.

Now I realize that there are more rows in 2007 than 2003, but that does
not
seem like a logical answer. I have 15,000 rows of data...well below the
limit in both 2003 and 2007.

Any insights..this is a major problem for me. I create the pivot tables
with open ranges to allow me to update the data set on a daily basis from
system feed. I need it to dynamically set the range..the only good answer
came up with is to open up the range.

As always appreciate any help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may also help

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...30/730796.aspx

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"PivotMan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately, moving to 2007 was to enhance functionality...but not all
customers of the data have migrated. So forcing everyone to upgrade is not
an option. Nor is working in 2003 because we are reaching the limits of 2003
capability. It was just to slow.

Any other thoughts?

I agree 2007 is cool...but this is going to be a problem.

Thanks

"PivotMan" wrote in message
I have upgraded to excel 2007 and am having a problem saving items down to
2003. Specifically, If you create a pivot table that uses the entire
column
as a range in 2007 and then save the file down to 2003, it converts the
pivot
table to values.

Now I realize that there are more rows in 2007 than 2003, but that does
not
seem like a logical answer. I have 15,000 rows of data...well below the
limit in both 2003 and 2007.

Any insights..this is a major problem for me. I create the pivot tables
with open ranges to allow me to update the data set on a daily basis from
system feed. I need it to dynamically set the range..the only good answer
came up with is to open up the range.

As always appreciate any help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pivotman

You will not like this answer. If you are reaching the limits of 2003's PTs,
you are using the wrong tool entirely. The limit of PTs in 2003 are many
thousands of rows. You cannot possibly 'read' that many rows successfully or
see any data pattern. You may want to look at Crosstab queries in Access but
generally these are not as flexible or user friendly as PTs.

So, with your constraints on versions, you are a litlle stumped in excel I'm
afraid

--
HTH
Nick Hodge