Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extract number between a dash

Hello,

Is there a way to extract numbers from a cell? Basically I have a list of
APN numbers, sometimes they include letters but they are always broken with a
dash. I need to extract the three different sections of the APN number into 3
different cells. For example APN number:

123A-456-789

Needs to be broken up into the following cells as follows:

B1: 123A
C1: 456
D1: 789

As i mentioned earlier numbers and sizes can change, the only constant is
the dash. Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try "Text to Columns" under Data on the menu bar.

On the first screen of Text to Columns, select "Delimited". On the 2nd
screen, check the box (and uncheck all other boxes under Delimiters)
"Other:", and type in a dash the box next to Other:. On the third screen,
you can define the data format (Text, Date, etc.) for each delimited column.

I hope that helps.

"Eric" wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to extract numbers from a cell? Basically I have a list of
APN numbers, sometimes they include letters but they are always broken with a
dash. I need to extract the three different sections of the APN number into 3
different cells. For example APN number:

123A-456-789

Needs to be broken up into the following cells as follows:

B1: 123A
C1: 456
D1: 789

As i mentioned earlier numbers and sizes can change, the only constant is
the dash. Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

DataText to columnsdleimited by other. Enter a hyphen and NextNext

Column Data FormatText..........this to prevent dropping of leading zeros, if
any)

Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP