Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jd jd is offline

Default Ordering Problem

I made a column Index using data from three other colums of the spreadsheet,
and put it in outline form, separating them with decimals. (#.#.#) When I
sort them in ascending order, I get problems like the example shown below.

1.11.110
1.11.111
1.11.113
1.11.152
1.11.38

I want the last one to be above at the top of the list, Excel things it
should go on the bottom because of the 3. Is there a way to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The last entry must be 1.11.038

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JD" wrote:

I made a column Index using data from three other colums of the spreadsheet,
and put it in outline form, separating them with decimals. (#.#.#) When I
sort them in ascending order, I get problems like the example shown below.

1.11.110
1.11.111
1.11.113
1.11.152
1.11.38

I want the last one to be above at the top of the list, Excel things it
should go on the bottom because of the 3. Is there a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi JD,

I am assuming that these are number and periods, not formatting?

=LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1,FIND(".",A1)+1))&RIGHT("00"&M ID(A1,FIND(".",A1,FIND(".",A1)+1)+1,10),3)

This formula only deals with the last group, you may still have problems if
your second group, .11., is .2., that is, only one digit.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JD" wrote:

I made a column Index using data from three other colums of the spreadsheet,
and put it in outline form, separating them with decimals. (#.#.#) When I
sort them in ascending order, I get problems like the example shown below.

1.11.110
1.11.111
1.11.113
1.11.152
1.11.38

I want the last one to be above at the top of the list, Excel things it
should go on the bottom because of the 3. Is there a way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jd jd is offline

Yeah, the middle column would still be messed up. Is there a way I could
just add zeroes to the front of the numbers in the colum that the index is
using?