Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cam Cam is offline

Default Change from mm/dd/yy to yy/mm

Hi,

I have a column with date field in mm/dd/yy format (about 1000 rows).
I would like to duplicate the date field in another column, but convert to
Year/Month (yy/mm). For example: The new column will delete/ignor the dd
format.
04/21/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
04/05/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
06/15/08 count as 08' JUN or 08' 06

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Copy and paste the entire column to where you want it. Then highlight the
new column and do Right-click FormatCells NumberTab then either choose
DATE and select one of the optional formats, or choose CUSTOM and choose one
of those offereings, or create your own format.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Cam" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column with date field in mm/dd/yy format (about 1000 rows).
I would like to duplicate the date field in another column, but convert to
Year/Month (yy/mm). For example: The new column will delete/ignor the dd
format.
04/21/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
04/05/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
06/15/08 count as 08' JUN or 08' 06

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you can not remove the day from a date, but you can format the cell to
display how you want.

For Example:
cell A1 equals the date
4/21/2008
in cell A2 enter
=A1
and change the formatting to
yy' mmm
A2 will display like this
08' Apr
but the value of A2 will still be the date 4/21/2008

other formats
yy/mm will display 08/04
yy' mm will display 08' 04

I don't understand what you mean when you say "count as". Are you trying to
do a SUMIF formula?

"Cam" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column with date field in mm/dd/yy format (about 1000 rows).
I would like to duplicate the date field in another column, but convert to
Year/Month (yy/mm). For example: The new column will delete/ignor the dd
format.
04/21/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
04/05/08 count as 08' APR or 08' 04
06/15/08 count as 08' JUN or 08' 06

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom and enter the following on the Type
line:

For:
08/01 --- yy/mm
08' 01 --- yy' mm