Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Returning cell display different than list choices

Hello all! Having trouble finding out if it's possible to do the
following.

If I have table that looks something like this:

A first
B second
C third
D fourth

Is it possible to set up data validation so that the drop-list will
allow the user to select from A, B, C or D, but then when selection is
made, the text that appears in the cell instead would show "first",
"second", "third" or "fourth"?

If not directly possible, any ideas on how to trick the eye to look
like that is what's happening? I have some experience with adjacent
cells to look like one for having formula result or manual override,
but can't get this to work with the list (the text box is too narrow
and you can no longer see A, B, C and D in their entirety). Any help
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you'd need a sheet change event macro as in the attached.

--
Jim