Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default This should be easy - date lookup

Here is my spreadsheet:

---Date Range---
Conversion Date Descr1 Begin Date End Date Descr
10/25/94 ? 02/05/96 03/03/96 FY1997P1
12/12/94 ? 03/04/96 03/31/96 FY1997P2
10/17/95 ? 04/01/96 04/28/96 FY1997P3
10/31/95 ? 04/29/96 05/26/96 FY1997P4
11/14/95 ? 05/27/96 06/23/96 FY1997P5

Assume Conversion Date is column G, Descr1 = column h, Begin Date is column
j, End Date = column k, and Descr = column l.

I need to 'lookup' the conversion date within the Begin Date and End Date
range, to return the value 'Descr' in the cell under 'Descr1'

I have search the KB and can't seem to find how the 'VLOOKUP' function can
look up a range of dates...anyone's help is greatly appreciated!~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Based on your posted sample there are *no* conversion dates that fall within
the begin date - end date.

Let's assume that your first conversion date is 4/23/1996

This array formula** will return FY1997P3:

=INDEX(L2:L6,MATCH(1,(G2=J2:J6)*(G2<=K2:K6),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lisa" wrote in message
Here is my spreadsheet:

---Date Range---
Conversion Date Descr1 Begin Date End Date Descr
10/25/94 ? 02/05/96 03/03/96 FY1997P1
12/12/94 ? 03/04/96 03/31/96 FY1997P2
10/17/95 ? 04/01/96 04/28/96 FY1997P3
10/31/95 ? 04/29/96 05/26/96 FY1997P4
11/14/95 ? 05/27/96 06/23/96 FY1997P5

Assume Conversion Date is column G, Descr1 = column h, Begin Date is
column
j, End Date = column k, and Descr = column l.

I need to 'lookup' the conversion date within the Begin Date and End Date
range, to return the value 'Descr' in the cell under 'Descr1'

I have search the KB and can't seem to find how the 'VLOOKUP' function can
look up a range of dates...anyone's help is greatly appreciated!~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank, dlw...

But how do you use the "IF" statement with a range? In my example, the
range I have is two columns x 145 rows....

"Lisa" wrote:

Here is my spreadsheet:

---Date Range---
Conversion Date Descr1 Begin Date End Date Descr
10/25/94 ? 02/05/96 03/03/96 FY1997P1
12/12/94 ? 03/04/96 03/31/96 FY1997P2
10/17/95 ? 04/01/96 04/28/96 FY1997P3
10/31/95 ? 04/29/96 05/26/96 FY1997P4
11/14/95 ? 05/27/96 06/23/96 FY1997P5

Assume Conversion Date is column G, Descr1 = column h, Begin Date is column
j, End Date = column k, and Descr = column l.

I need to 'lookup' the conversion date within the Begin Date and End Date
range, to return the value 'Descr' in the cell under 'Descr1'

I have search the KB and can't seem to find how the 'VLOOKUP' function can
look up a range of dates...anyone's help is greatly appreciated!~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks dlw,

But how do I specify a range for an IF statement? The data I am needing to
reference is 2 columns x 145 rows...

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!