Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup cell 1 below another cell

I'm trying to add a formula that will return the cell directly below the cell
that my VLOOKUP formula pulled from. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)
will give you the row where A1 matches the value in sheet2 column A.

=match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)+1
will give you the row under the match.

So
=index(sheet2!a:a,match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)+1)
should return the value under that match.

(as long as there is a match and it's not in the last row!)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For some reason everytime I try the match formula it returns the #N/A error.
My vlookup is VLOOKUP(A2, Mfg!C2:L22695, 3, FALSE). When I write the match
formula I'm using MATCH(B2, Mfg!C2:L22695, 0) but that alone returns an
error. B2 is the cell that contains the vlookup. I've tried the match
formula just using the cell that was my lookup value for the vlookup, but
even that returns an error. Every lookup value I'm using has data in the
table array. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for all your input.

Nate wrote:

I'm trying to add a formula that will return the cell directly below the cell
that my VLOOKUP formula pulled from. Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My vlookup is VLOOKUP(A2, Mfg!C2:L22695, 3, FALSE).
When I write the match formula I'm using MATCH(B2,Mfg!C2:L22695, 0)
but that alone returns an error

The MATCH lookup_array must be a 1 dimensional array. That is, a single row
or single column.

=VLOOKUP(A2, Mfg!C2:L22695, 3, FALSE)

=INDEX(Mfg!E2:E22695,MATCH(A2,Mfg!C2:C22695,0)+1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Nate wrote:

I'm trying to add a formula that will return the cell directly below
the cell
that my VLOOKUP formula pulled from. Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your VLOOKUP formula was something like this:

=VLOOKPU(A1,A2:B100,2,0)

Then try something like this:

=INDEX(B2:B100,MATCH(A1,A2:A100,0)+1)

--