Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A problem with #DIV/0! and circular reference errors

Hi,

Please forgive this long winded request but I am going to try and make this
problem as clear as I possibly can.

I am writing a spreadsheet to assist me in my hobby as an amateur
meteorologist and also to try and teach myself how to use Excel. Everything
is going well with a couple of exceptions.

I have formatted the sheet into the twelve months from columns D to AA with
two columns per month for Max/Min temps and the appropriate number of days
for each month down to rows 40-42. Each cell is conditionally formatted to
turn red or blue if the data entered exceeds limits placed on it.

At the bottom each column, I have three rows showing the maximum temperature
for the month, the minimum for the month and the average for the month; its
the average row that I am having a problem with. Until data is entered into
at least one cell for the month, the average shown for each month is #DIV/0!
I have tried the formula =IF(F11:F40,0,"",AVERAGE(F11:F40)) but that only
changes the error to a circular reference error, an error that I just can't
see or understand.

My second problem relates to the formula I have for showing the lowest
temperature for the year which automatically updates day by day. Even
though I have low temperatures showing at the foot of monthly columns, the
yearly low is showing as zero, I think because some columns do not have any
data as yet, the formula of =MIN(D49:AA49) is reading blank cells as '0'

I think the basic problem is my not being able to have empty cells display
as exacty that, empty cells; they are displaying as 0. Can anyone put me on
the right path to a solution?

I thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Cheers,

--
Wal