-   -   Imported text separation problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/172884-imported-text-separation-problem.html)

Dave

Imported text separation problem

I have pasted some text from a web page into a worksheet.
It is written in the format;
Restaurant, Street, Town; Restaurant 2, Street, Town; Restaurant 3, Street,
Town
Currently it is all in one cell.
I would like to change it to be in three columns (restaurants, street,
town) and each entry (restaurant) on a separate row.
Any help is much appreciated.

Dave

David Biddulph[_2_]

Imported text separation problem

I would suggest that in a text editor you replace the semi-colons (or
perhaps the semi-colon space sequence) by paragraph marks.
Then import the file into Excel specifying the comma as delimiter.
--
David Biddulph

"Dave" wrote in message
I have pasted some text from a web page into a worksheet.
It is written in the format;
Restaurant, Street, Town; Restaurant 2, Street, Town; Restaurant 3,
Street,
Town
Currently it is all in one cell.
I would like to change it to be in three columns (restaurants, street,
town) and each entry (restaurant) on a separate row.
Any help is much appreciated.

Dave

Henk57[_5_]

David Biddulph;2576383 Wrote:
I would suggest that in a text editor you replace the semi-colons (or
perhaps the semi-colon space sequence) by paragraph marks.
Then import the file into Excel specifying the comma as delimiter.
--
David Biddulph

"Dave" wrote in message
...-
I have pasted some text from a web page into a worksheet.
It is written in the format;
Restaurant, Street, Town; Restaurant 2, Street, Town; Restaurant 3,
Street,
Town
Currently it is all in one cell.
I would like to change it to be in three columns (restaurants,
street,
town) and each entry (restaurant) on a separate row.
Any help is much appreciated.

Dave
-

In addition to David's suggestion, in Word you can also replace the
comma by a tab (^t). The tab works as a column separator when feeding
back into Excel. Careful though with addresses that contain a comma
(eg for the house number).

--
Henk57