Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default EXCEL

When I save a file WHICH I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES TO, I get a message asking if
I want to save the changes. Surely I should only get this message if I've
made changes
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can get that message if your workbook contains volatile functions such
as NOW(), TODAY() etc. These recompute everytime the workbook is recomputed
and it may appear that nothing has changed when in fact things have changed.

Tyro

"David Crawt" wrote in message
When I save a file WHICH I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES TO, I get a message asking
if
I want to save the changes. Surely I should only get this message if I've
made changes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your workbook may contain volatile functions such as NOW(), TODAY() etc.
These functions are recomputed every time the workbook is recomputed. It may
appear that nothing has changed, but that may be due to formatting. If NOW()
changes the cell that it is in, it may appear not to have changed the cell,
but it has and Excel detects the change.

Tyro

"David Crawt" wrote in message
When I save a file WHICH I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES TO, I get a message asking
if
I want to save the changes. Surely I should only get this message if I've
made changes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the workbook you opened was created in an earlier version of Excel you will
get the "save changes" message.

Save as your current version.

You will also get the message if you have used any volatile function(s) in your
workbook.

Could be a NOW() or TODAY()

List of volatile functions........

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these would cause the workbook changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:24:07 -0800, David Crawt
wrote:

When I save a file WHICH I HAVE MADE NO CHANGES TO, I get a message asking if
I want to save the changes. Surely I should only get this message if I've
made changes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I should have pointed out that the volatile functions are recomputed with
the workbook is opened. For example, =TODAY() in a cell returns the current
operating system date. So when you open the workbook, Excel gets today's
date automatically. You did not make any change but Excel did. So when you
close the workbook, if you have not saved it, Excel will ask if you want to
save the changes.