Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date and number not displayed correctly

What is the format for the short date in the windows regional settings?

Is one mm/dd/yy and the other m/d/yy or mm/dd/yyyy?

md wrote:

hi,

I am having a problem with excel. when i open a file the date and numbers
are not displayed correctly since the columns are getting squeezed and the
format of the cells is not correct.

when i open the same report on a different system the data is displayed
correctly.

i think there could be some change in the regional settings in the two
systems. i tried to change the setting but it does not help.

can you please help??

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

md wrote:

hi,

I am having a problem with excel. when i open a file the date and numbers
are not displayed correctly since the columns are getting squeezed and the
format of the cells is not correct.

when i open the same report on a different system the data is displayed
correctly.

i think there could be some change in the regional settings in the two
systems. i tried to change the setting but it does not help.

can you please help??

--

Dave Peterson

hi Dave,

i verified that earlier. both are set to 'yyyy/mm/dd'. I even tried to
change the Book.xlt, the template. But nothing seems to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 11, 10:39*am, Dave Peterson wrote:
If you widen the column, what do you see?

Changing book.xlt won't have any effect on any other workbook.

md wrote:

hi,

I am having a problem with excel. when i open a file the date and numbers
are not displayed correctly since the columns are getting squeezed and the
format of the cells is not correct.

when i open the same report on a different system the data is displayed
correctly.

i think there could be some change in the regional settings in the two
systems. i tried to change the setting but it does not help.

can you please help??

--

Dave Peterson

hi Dave,

i verified that earlier. both are set to 'yyyy/mm/dd'. I even tried to
change the Book.xlt, the template. But nothing seems to work.

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

When i widen the column i see the date correctly. the font is
displayed as arial 7. while in the original report it is set to arial
8.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correctly means that the dates appear to be the same on both pcs?

I guess the next question is why does the font size change from 8 to 7 and why
does a font size of 7 not fit in a column with the same width.

Are you sure that the columnwidths are exactly the same?

If you do this on both pc's, what do you get back:
Select the column with the display problem
Format|column|Width
What do you see as the existing width in that dialog--for both PCs?

My thoughts are that the columnwidths are changing for some reason--or that the
printer driver is making a difference.

If you install the same printer driver (as the pc that looks ok) on the
troublesome pc and change printers, do things look ok?

One more question--what version of excel are you using?

Lots of people who used xl97 complained that columnwidths would change by
themselves. Upgrading to xl97SR2 fixed it for most--but not all.

<<snipped