Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Single quotation mark in Excel not showing up

Typed single quotation mark ' in cell, and it doesn't show up on sheet. I
remembered that I needed to type two single quotes to have one show up in
cell, but I don't remember why. Can someone refresh my memory please. Thank
you!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Single quotation mark in Excel not showing up

Hi there!

The reason why you need to type two single quotes to have one show up in a cell is because the single quote is used as a special character in Excel. When you type a single quote in a cell, Excel treats the text that follows as text rather than a formula.

For example,
  1. If you type
    Code:
    =2+2
    in a cell, Excel will calculate the formula and display 4 in the cell.
  2. However, if you type
    Code:
    '=2+2
    (with the single quote at the beginning), Excel will treat the text as a string and display =2+2 in the cell instead of calculating the formula.

So, to display a single quote in a cell, you need to type two single quotes. The first single quote tells Excel to treat the text that follows as a string, and the second single quote is the actual character you want to display.

I hope that helps!
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A single apostrophe does not show up because Excel treats it as a Text marker
and not part of the text stream. Enter two apostrophes to get the single
quote in the text.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200764