Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Open File from FTP Location

Can anyone help with this?
I need to open a file and/or Refresh imported data from a file located on an
ftp server.
-I have added the location to my FTP Locations with needed user name and
password.
-I can "see" the file in the open file dialogue box
-However, on selecting file, an opening dialogue box opens for about 10
seconds and then stops with an error message saying cannot open file,
followed by another giving general reasons ie "file/path does not exist" or
"file in use by another prog.." or "file...same name as currently opened.."
(If I access ftp location via windows explorer I can open file or copy to my
computer, but want to automate process in an excel macro which will refresh
my imported data)
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

If you post it, (your code), someone will help.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bricol" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No code written - as a relative newbie at this i tend to use "record"
initially and then fine tune :) - since it bombs out nil recorded. However,
what I need to know is, is the basic principle possible? Can one download
from ftp from within excel?

"Bricol" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Dunno, since I've never done it myself. However, if you don't get any other
answer here, you might try the Programming Group. FYI, one can easily open
an Excel file from some external directory, and extract portions, or all of
it back to the working file..........through MSQuery, one can also import
portions of databases from Access files or from Mainframe sources.........,
so, what you are wanting to do seems feasible........why not try Data
GetExternalData CreateNewQuery and see how far you get............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3