Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup formula to return all instances of match?

Sample data:

Column 1 Column 2
Labrador Dog
Beagle Dog
Siamese Cat
Toucan Bird
Poodle Dog

In a separate spreadsheet, I am trying to create a formula that will search
in column 2 for "Dog" and return all individual instances in column 1 in
separate rows:
Labrador
Beagle
Poodle

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say your list is on Sheet1.
In A1 of Sheet2 enter
dog
Then in A2 of Sheet2, try this *array* formula:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!B$1:B$5,A$1)=ROWS($1:1),INDEX( Sheet1!A$1:A$5,
SMALL(IF(Sheet1!B$1:B$5=A$1,ROW($1:$5)),ROWS($1:1) )),"")

--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

*After* the CSE entry, copy down as far as you anticipate the number of
returns you'll get.
Make sure you copy down enough rows to ensure *all* possibilities are
displayed.
--
HTH,

RD

"CParker" wrote in message
Sample data:

Column 1 Column 2
Labrador Dog
Beagle Dog
Siamese Cat
Toucan Bird
Poodle Dog

In a separate spreadsheet, I am trying to create a formula that will
search
in column 2 for "Dog" and return all individual instances in column 1 in
separate rows:
Labrador
Beagle
Poodle

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is great, but I am still just a little lost...

Say my list is on Sheet 1.

In B6 of Sheet2, I have entered "Dog."
I now want the word "Labrador" to appear in cell A6 of Sheet2, then Beagle
in cell A7, then Poodle in cell A8. I don't understand what to do to change
this from your rows to my columns. Can you help again?

Thanks so much!! I'm so close!

"CParker" wrote in message
Sample data:

Column 1 Column 2
Labrador Dog
Beagle Dog
Siamese Cat
Toucan Bird
Poodle Dog

In a separate spreadsheet, I am trying to create a formula that will
search
in column 2 for "Dog" and return all individual instances in column 1 in
separate rows:
Labrador
Beagle
Poodle

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there
Please can you post how you were able to achieve this? Or can you email at
, as I need to do the same thing

Many thanks

"CParker" wrote in message
Sample data:

Column 1 Column 2
Labrador Dog
Beagle Dog
Siamese Cat
Toucan Bird
Poodle Dog

In a separate spreadsheet, I am trying to create a formula that will
search
in column 2 for "Dog" and return all individual instances in column 1 in
separate rows:
Labrador
Beagle
Poodle

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey,
I'm trying to figure out the same issue.
Could you please send me the answer to
Thanks!

"CParker" wrote in message
Sample data:

Column 1 Column 2
Labrador Dog
Beagle Dog
Siamese Cat
Toucan Bird
Poodle Dog

In a separate spreadsheet, I am trying to create a formula that will
search
in column 2 for "Dog" and return all individual instances in column 1 in
separate rows:
Labrador
Beagle
Poodle

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

These forums only work if people actually post the solution !!!