Carol

Default How do I quickly move up or down list

I have a list with 4000+ items in alphabetical order.
Is there an easy way to move up or down to another beginning letter other
than scrolling? Say I am in the Z's & want to go up to the B's, then back
down to the W's, etc... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carol

swatsp0p

Control+F will find <every occurance of a letter...could be very cumbersome...

I would try the ToolsFilterAuto-Filter. Then you could select to see ONLY
the "B's", etc. via the CustomBegins With feature. Check "Auto-Filter" in
Excel Help for details on this feature.

Good Luck

"Kassie" wrote:

Have you tried using <Ctrl<f?

"Carol" wrote:

I have a list with 4000+ items in alphabetical order.
Is there an easy way to move up or down to another beginning letter other
than scrolling? Say I am in the Z's & want to go up to the B's, then back
down to the W's, etc... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carol

Carol

Thanks anyway, but I found that more trouble then just scrolling.
I guess if I wanted 1 certain thing but I want an area. If I enter A
for find it brings up everyone including ones that aren't the first letter
of the first word.

Thanks again,
Carol

Carol

Thanks for your input.
Carol

swatsp0p

One other option, working from the "Find" option...

Insert a blank column just to the left of your Names column. enter this
formula in the first row with names and copy down the entire range of names:

=LEFT(B2,1)&"xz"

This assumes your names are in col B and begin in row 2, adjust the B2
reference as needed.

Then, do a Find for Zxz (not likely to have other combinations of xz in your
list)

HTH

"Carol" wrote:

Thanks for your input.
Carol

Otto Moehrbach

I don't know if you're interested in a VBA solution but, operationally, it
would be much simpler. Paste this macro into the sheet module of the sheet
that holds your data. As written, this macro assumes your data is in Column
A starting in A2. Cell A1 is the cell into which you type the letter you
want. Row 1 is frozen so that A1 is always visible regardless of the
scrolling of your data. That's it. Type "g" into A1 (without the quotes)
and your data will scroll (in an instant) and put the first entry that
starts with a "g" immediately below A1.
To access the sheet module for your sheet, right-click on the sheet tab,
select "View code" and paste this macro into that module. Please come back
if you need anything else. HTH Otto
Dim RngA As Range
Dim FoundCell As Range
Dim SLetter As String
If Target = "" Then Exit Sub
If Target.Address(0, 0) = "A1" Then
SLetter = [A1].Value & "*"
Set RngA = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
Set FoundCell = RngA.Find(What:=SLetter, LookAt:=xlWhole,
After:=RngA(RngA.Count))
With ActiveWindow
.ScrollRow = FoundCell.Row
.ScrollColumn = 1
End With
"Carol" wrote in message
I have a list with 4000+ items in alphabetical order.
Is there an easy way to move up or down to another beginning letter other
than scrolling? Say I am in the Z's & want to go up to the B's, then back
down to the W's, etc... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carol

Carol

Wow - Thank you.
Carol

Carol

Thank you again. I do have a worksheet I can use this in.
Carol

David

Otto Moehrbach wrote

[...]

Suggestion: I would add On Error Resume Next after the Dim statements to
avoid error in the unlikely event nothing in the list starts with the
letter you type into A1.

--
David

Don S

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:09:41 GMT, "Carol"
wrote:

I have a list with 4000+ items in alphabetical order.
Is there an easy way to move up or down to another beginning letter other
than scrolling? Say I am in the Z's & want to go up to the B's, then back
down to the W's, etc... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carol

For quick and simple navigation, try END and UP(arrow) or DOWN(arrow).
That will take you to the next empty cell (or the last cell in a
list). Also ctl+home will take you to the top left available cell and
ctl+end will take you to the lowest right available cell.

Don S
Otto Moehrbach

Thanks for that, David. That's always a good thing to have. Otto
"David" wrote in message
Otto Moehrbach wrote

[...]

Member

Location: London

There's actually a very simple way.

Use the normal 'Find' function but, for example, if you're searching for entries that begin with 'U', then enter the following:

Find what: U* (i.e. U followed by star/asterisk)

Click: Options

Tick: Match Entire Cell Contents

That way, Excel will search ONLY for cells whose first letter is 'U' - it won't find any cell that has 'U' anywhere in it.

Regards,
BizMark

Last edited by BizMark : August 12th 05 at 01:55 PM