Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Removeing certian numbers from a row of numbers

Example:
011402
011403
011404

How can I remove 011 from a list of 10,000 prefixes?
If anyone can help out I would really appreate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)

copy down as far as you need.

If necessary, you can copy this column and Paste Special Values over the original column

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Claude" wrote in message ...
| Example:
| 011402
| 011403
| 011404
|
| How can I remove 011 from a list of 10,000 prefixes?
| If anyone can help out I would really appreate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Possibly:

If *all* numbers are 6 characters long and start with 011:

Enter 11000 in an empty cell

Copy that cell: EditCopy
Select the range of cells that contain your numbers
Then, EditPaste SpecialSubtractOK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Claude" wrote in message
Example:
011402
011403
011404

How can I remove 011 from a list of 10,000 prefixes?
If anyone can help out I would really appreate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If these are truly numbers just formatted to show the leading zero, do this:
pick an empty cell on the worksheet and enter 11000 into it. Select that
cell and copy it (Edit | Copy or [ctrl]+[C])
select the 10000 cells with the numbers to be altered in them and
Then go to
Edit | Paste Special
and choose the [Subtract] option and click OK

You can quickly choose the 10000 cells by entering their address in the Name
Box - the place just above the A column letter where cell address usually
appears. Lets say your numbers are in column B and go from row 2 to 10001,
just enter
B2:B10001 in the Name Box and that'll select them all and have them ready
for the Paste Special | Subtract operation.

If these are not truly numbers, but are text entries, then enter this
formula in the column right next to the first entry (again, assumes in B,
starting at row 2, so this would go into C2)
=Right(B2,3)

Then move the cursor towards the lower right corner of C2 until it becomes a
thin plus symbol and double-click to fill the formula down to the list of
entries in column B.

That's half the job, or 1/3 of it. Now select all of the cells in C that
have the proper value in them and use Edit | Copy (or [ctrl]+[c]) and then
select the original cells and use Edit | Paste Special with the "Values"
option chosen. That will overwrite the 011402 type entries with the last 3
characters (402) in this case. Now you can go delete column C and all those
formulas.

Hope this helps some.

"Claude" wrote:

Example:
011402
011403
011404

How can I remove 011 from a list of 10,000 prefixes?
If anyone can help out I would really appreate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Example:
011402
011403
011404

How can I remove 011 from a list of 10,000 prefixes?
If anyone can help out I would really appreate it.

Work with a copy of the workbook, so as not to risk messing up the
original.

One way is to select the column in question and use
Data Text to columns

In the box that appears, click "Fixed width" then "Next."

Using the ruler at the top of the next box, split the data the way you
want, then "Next."

Select the first column in the next box and click "Do not import column"
then "Finish."

The above assumes that all the entries are six text character and that you
want to remove the first three. If this isn't the case, please give more
details.

(I have Excel 2003.)