Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default New workbook from template from ftp site

Good afternoon --
I've set up an Excel 2003 workbook template on our corporate ftp site, and
want to test our ability to open new workbooks from it before I release it.
I'm having trouble doing that, and need to figure out why.

When I try to open the template directly using my web browser, I'm able to
do that just fine. However, when I open Excel and try to open a new workbook
from template, I enter the same location and file name (including the XLT
suffix instead of XLS). I get a window asking for the log-in name and
password (as I should), then an hourglass for 30 seconds or so and then
nothing happens.

I'm trying to figure out -- is this a password problem on the server? Or is
there something inside of Excel I should be doing? I set up the folder on
the remote server as an 'added FTP location', and I'm able to open a file
from there, just not open a new file from a template.

Thanks for any pointers.