Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I link to an embedded object

I embedded a Word Doc into Excel (as an icon). I want to hyperlink to it from
another Excel worksheet, but the embedded object does not have a cell
location to link to. Can I convert the embedded object to a cell or assign a
cell location to the embedded object?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, !

I embedded a Word Doc into Excel (as an icon).
I want to hyperlink to it from another Excel worksheet
but the embedded object does not have a cell location to link to.
Can I convert the embedded object to a cell or assign a cell location to the embedded object?

op1: you can always hyperlink to the cell "below" the top-left corner of your embedded shape/object

op2: you can find (vba) the .TopLeftCell.Address property of any named/looping embedded object

op3: you can use xl-4 macro-functions (in named-formulae) to find the .TopLeftCell.Address of a "name" object
(note: named-formula must be used on a cell in the embedded object worksheet and hyperlink to it) i.e.
[Sheet1] insert / name / define... name: MyObjectCell / formula: =get.object(4,"object 1")
[Sheet1!A1] =myobjectcell
[other worksheet] =hyperlink("#sheet1!"&sheet1!a1,"my embedded word document icon")

if you move your embedded object, change the formula-name to: =get.object(4+0*now(),"object 1")
will be updated on re/calc, otherwise you will need {F2}+{Enter} on [Sheet1!A1]

(among others) hth,
hector.

p.s. (just in case) xl-4 macro-functions may crash excel under certain circumstances (xl97/2000)