Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default multiplying rows and passing formula throughout the col range

Is this confusing?

My formula: sum(C6*D6) to multiply price (C) vs usage (D).
I need to continue multiplying like this to get a final total
to get the amount spent for last year. my example:

R Col C D

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In other words, you want a single formula to calculate the grand total?

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(C6:C9,D6:D9)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sistereinstein" wrote in message
Is this confusing?

My formula: sum(C6*D6) to multiply price (C) vs usage (D).
I need to continue multiplying like this to get a final total
to get the amount spent for last year. my example:

R Col C D

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think we are on the right track. For whatever reason, I keep on getting
$2570.00 as a total, which is the total for the first two, and the correct
total should be $3104.00. I checked the formats and the $ amt is set to
number w/ 2 decimal pts and the usage is number w/0 decimal pts, all down the
rows.

I also moved the range past those cells to see if the amount changed, and it
didn't. Is this a bug? Doesn't seems it should be...

"T. Valko" wrote:

In other words, you want a single formula to calculate the grand total?

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(C6:C9,D6:D9)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sistereinstein" wrote in message
Is this confusing?

My formula: sum(C6*D6) to multiply price (C) vs usage (D).
I need to continue multiplying like this to get a final total
to get the amount spent for last year. my example:

R Col C D

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bug? You must have invisible characters (spaces/html characters etc) in one
or both of the last 2 cells making it text.
It doesn't matter if you check the formats, if I format a cell as a currency
and type in abc it will not change the format but it will be text even if
the format says currency. Select the cells and type in 1.78 and 300 manually
and it should work.

Peo Sjoblom