Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping cells together for sorting

Is there a function or a way to group multiple cells together to behave as
the first? I don't mean merge, or just highlighting them. I want to bind the
cells together so that any function performed on the first cell will apply to
all. Specifically, the function I want to use is the sort. I have several
events sorted by date and I want to sort them chronologically with some
exceptions. I want some events that occur later in time and "technically"
should fall later in the sort to appear with the earlier (or later) events
they correspond to.

I realize there may not be a specific tool in excel to do this, but if there
is any function or way to "pre-sort" the events that need to be paired it
would save me the time of having to manually go through and separate the
cells that i don't want sorted. Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

just an idea.

You could a helper column (you can hide it if needed), and store the same
number for rows that need to be together. Then, that column would also be
used when sorting.

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music