Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change Title of Spreadsheet

Hello,

I have a weird kind of question. Every time I open Excel, the first
worksheet comes up as Personal.xls but when I click on the icon to open a new
worksheet, it opens as book1.xls. Why it is opening with personal.xls and how
do I get rid of it? I remember doing something with a macro from a prcatice
excerise but I delted the macro. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Personal.xls was created when you recorded a macro to it. You may delete or
better yet put this macro in it to toggle hiding/unhiding. I have it
assigned to a button on my MENU.xls that opens when I open excel.

Sub TogglePersonal()
Windows("PERSONAL.XLS").Visible = Not Windows("PERSONAL.XLS").Visible

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Stockwell43" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a weird kind of question. Every time I open Excel, the first
worksheet comes up as Personal.xls but when I click on the icon to open a
new
worksheet, it opens as book1.xls. Why it is opening with personal.xls and
how
do I get rid of it? I remember doing something with a macro from a
prcatice
excerise but I delted the macro. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Personal.xls always opens if you have macros created. However, it is usually
saved as a hidden file.

The next time you open Excel and personal.xls opens, Click Window Hide.
When you close Excel it will prompt you to save the personal.xls file. Click
Yes and it will open as hidden and you will not see it. You need it to open
if you want to use any global macros you have created.

"Stockwell43" wrote:

Hello,

I have a weird kind of question. Every time I open Excel, the first
worksheet comes up as Personal.xls but when I click on the icon to open a new
worksheet, it opens as book1.xls. Why it is opening with personal.xls and how
do I get rid of it? I remember doing something with a macro from a prcatice
excerise but I delted the macro. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Close excel
Use windows start button|Search
and look for personal.xls

Delete the ones you know you don't want.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, one more question.

When I try to make a change in a certain cell, it gives me a warning not to
make changes and won't let me do it. I can hit cancel to get out but it will
not even let me move to another cell unless I hit cancel. Where do I find the
formula or controls for this? I didn't see a macro attached. Sorry, I am not
much on Excel as I work mostly with Access so forgive me if I seem a bit
dense on how to do certain things.

Thanks!!!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like the developer put some Data|Validation (in xl2003 menu system)
rules in that cell.

If I enter something incorrectly in one of those cells, I usually just hit
ESCape to put it back to what it was before.

You could also hit the delete key (after you dismiss that warning dialog) to
clear the contents of the cell.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can delete it but the next time you create a macro you may just re-create
Personal.xls.

It is handy to have one where you store all global macros.

Just save as a hiden file and you won't even know it is there.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't understand what you mean by renaming the cell?

If you mean you want to enter a different value, then that new value will have
to adhere to the data|validation rules.

If you really meant you wanted to rename the cell (Insert|Name|Define), then
make sure that the worksheet is not protected (just a guess).

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, renaming the cell is what I want to do but for some reason it would let
me. I went into Tools and it doesn't look like the sheet is protected, I
looked to see if any Macros were assigned and none of that is happening. It
is a worksheet created by someone else that I am trying to modify. I think
maybe I just need to re-create it myself so I can make necessary changes when
needed because there are several cells like this and I don't know how to
change any of them. Please let me know if I am overlokking anything.

Thanks!!!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The Warning message says:
"Please do not enter or change data in this cell Thanks!!"

and it gives me the choices of Retry and Cancel.

I highlight the cell to change it from Work Topic to Tasks and when I click
off of the cell I get the message so it won't let me leave the cell unless I
click on cancel. If I click retry it continually does the samething until I
click cancel and then the cell goes back to Work Topic.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That doesn't sound like a message that's associated with renaming a cell
(insert|name|define).

And it doesn't sound like it's a message that's built into excel.

I would suspect that you have an event macro that fires when you make a change.

Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select view code. I'd check there first.
(It could be somewhere else, though.)

Or you may want to go back to the developer and explain the problem and ask for
a change.