-   -   single-cell multiple entry with pull-down list? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/170250-single-cell-multiple-entry-pull-down-list.html)

Wade

single-cell multiple entry with pull-down list?

Hello,

I've been scouring all the tutorials and forums to see if it's possible to
have multiple entries in a single-cell with a pull-down list.

For ex. the pull-down list is composed of: Object A, Object B, ..., Object X
When I click on a cell with the data validation-List enabled, I currently
have the option of choosing Object A OR Object B, etc.
But I can't pick Object A, then input comma in the same cell, then select
Object B in the same cell (i.e. in one cell, have "Object A, Object B, etc.")
without the second selection wiping out the first one.

Is this possible in Excel and how can I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen[_2_]

single-cell multiple entry with pull-down list?

It's not possible. You could have multiple columns and choose different ones
in each (with a formula in another column to concatenate them if necessary).

"Wade" wrote in message
Hello,

I've been scouring all the tutorials and forums to see if it's possible to
have multiple entries in a single-cell with a pull-down list.

For ex. the pull-down list is composed of: Object A, Object B, ..., Object
When I click on a cell with the data validation-List enabled, I currently
have the option of choosing Object A OR Object B, etc.
But I can't pick Object A, then input comma in the same cell, then select
Object B in the same cell (i.e. in one cell, have "Object A, Object B,
etc.")
without the second selection wiping out the first one.

Is this possible in Excel and how can I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Gord Dibben

single-cell multiple entry with pull-down list?

DV0017 - Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in same
cell. DataValMultiSelect.zip 18kb updated 22-Feb-07

This sample workbook can be downloaded from Debra Dalgleish's website.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Note: the multiple entries in one cell are comma-delimited as you wanted.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:57:04 -0800, Wade wrote:

Hello,

I've been scouring all the tutorials and forums to see if it's possible to
have multiple entries in a single-cell with a pull-down list.

For ex. the pull-down list is composed of: Object A, Object B, ..., Object X
When I click on a cell with the data validation-List enabled, I currently
have the option of choosing Object A OR Object B, etc.
But I can't pick Object A, then input comma in the same cell, then select
Object B in the same cell (i.e. in one cell, have "Object A, Object B, etc.")
without the second selection wiping out the first one.

Is this possible in Excel and how can I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Gord Dibben

single-cell multiple entry with pull-down list?

But it is possible through code Stephen.

See my resopnse to OP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP