Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default need help

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sub combinerows()

RowCount = 1

Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < ""
HighNum = Range("A" & RowCount)
Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < "" And _
Range("C" & (RowCount + 1)) = ""
HighNum = Range("A" & (RowCount + 1))
Rows(RowCount + 1).Delete
Loop
If Range("A" & RowCount) < HighNum Then
Range("A" & RowCount) = Range("A" & RowCount) & _
"-" & HighNum
Else
'convert column A to text
Range("A" & RowCount).NumberFormat = "@"
End If
RowCount = RowCount + 1
Loop

End Sub

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joel;

I have tried and fully tested your code and it doesn't perform as expected.
I want **so bad** to understand looping **an this is a perfect example
that i wish to understand. Did you test it (your code)?

After I run it (the code) the results a
205-215 1234568 << only one line versus the expected 4 lines

Can you assist here?

TIA,

Jim May

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My best guess is the empty cells in column C have some spaces or other wihte
charactters (tab for example). Lets see if a trim() function will help

from
Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < "" And _
Range("C" & (RowCount + 1)) = ""
Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < "" And _
Trim(Range("C" & (RowCount + 1))) = ""

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looking futher, I don't think any data is in column C. Clcik with the mouse
any number in column C and then look at the functions box (fx) box at the top
of the worksheet to see that the data is really in column C.

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joel, I'm as embarrassed as I've ever been. In setting up the OP's example I
omited the Blank Column B ( So my table was Col A was Order Numbers and Col B
was the Part numbers. So sorry for my mistake causing the unnecessary work
you put in... Once I Inserted a Column (between my Co A and Col B) of my
original layout and ran you code It worked perfectly. Now, to understand it
I have printed it out and will devote ever how long it takes to understand
every "twist-and-turn" in this miracle code. Thanks alot.

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The one line below may be hard to decypher

Range("A" & RowCount).NumberFormat = "@"

This line just formats the cell as text. When column A is just a single
number it is right justified in the cell, the lines with two numbers in
column A (205-206) are treated as text and are left justified in the cell. I
though it looked bettter to have everything left justified so I turned
numbers into text.

The code looks at column C in Row + 1 and deletes Row + 1 when it is blank
and captures the number in column A as HighNum. When Column C Row + 1 is not
a blank it puts HighNum into column A.

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joel,
Thanks for your help on this Loop. These things DRIVE ME NUTS...
I've spent 2 hours on your example and progressing all-too-slowly.

Are there any ground rules that you can share with me that would
help me "sort-out" the initial Steps in mapping out the strategy of
doing Loops within Loops. This example and others like it are
difficult to me, as I am dislectic, stupid and dumb... rater hard
things to overcome when you have chosen the programming
field. LOL, LOL

Merry Christmas..
Jim

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

there is no good way to learn loops except for doing lots of them. then you
start to see the patterns. In shcool you learn start with sorting
algorithms. It is a good starting point . the good old basic bubble sort

Const Last = 1000
Dim SortData(Last)

for i = 1 to (Last - 1)
for j = (i + 1) to Last

if SortData(i) SortData(j) then
'swap i and j
temp = SortData(i)
SortData(i) = SortData(j)
SortData(j) = temp
end if
next j
next i

When you work with excel spreadsheet it is usually moving down rows and
either Moving Data, Adding Rows, Deleting Rows. the mving data is the
easiest o the 3 because you are usually just increamenting the row counter.
Adding rows you have to increase the row counter twice. Deleting Rows you
probably don't have to incrtement the row counter because deleting a row does
the equivalent.

Let me explain my code

Sub combinerows()

RowCount = 1

'This row simply stops the macro when there is no more data in column A
Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < ""

This statement get the first number in the range of number (200-204)
HighNum = Range("A" & RowCount)

this statement looks in Row C and checks if the cell in the next row is
empty. If it is empty we are going to get the value in column A which is the
new HighNum and delete the row. We also need to check column A to make sure
we we get to the last row of data we end the macro
Do While Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) < "" And _
Range("C" & (RowCount + 1)) = ""

these two statements get the highNum and delete the next row when the column
C is blank in the next row.

Note: When the row is deleted all the other rows move up one row.

HighNum = Range("A" & (RowCount + 1))
Rows(RowCount + 1).Delete

Loop

This statement checks is we havve only one number in the range or more than
one number in the range. 204 would be a case where we havve more than one
number
If Range("A" & RowCount) < HighNum Then

This statement create the range (202-204)
Range("A" & RowCount) = Range("A" & RowCount) & _
"-" & HighNum
Else
'convert column A to text
Range("A" & RowCount).NumberFormat = "@"
End If

Now we completed a range of number so we have to move to the next row.

RowCount = RowCount + 1
Loop

End Sub

The easy way to see what the code is doing is to single step through the
code using F8 key. You can switch back and forth betenn the VBA window and
the spreadsheet window and watch as each line is executed. Just go to VBA
window and press F8 over and over again. F9 will set break points and F5
will run the code. Look at the menu in VBA under Debug and Run (use this to
reset and start from beginning.).

"John" wrote:

in the column A is by order numbers. in column C is the parts number. between
one part number to the next part number there are empty box, the empty row
are inconsistent. is there anyway to make a macro to del the empty row
between the parts number and put the order number togehter. sample below...
sample: this is what I want to be:
205 1234568 |205-206 1234568
206 |207 1780009
207 1780009 |209-211 1190001
209 1190001 |212-215 11390008
210 |
211 |
212 11390008 |
213 |
214 |
215 |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

WoW !!
You are one HELPFUL guy !!
Thank you for investing in helping me. I just printed off your message and
now expect to pour-over it in the next hour, or so.
Thanks again,
Jim