Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I use the same formatting when I re-create a spreadsheet

I have a mainframe job that creates a .csv file and ftp's it to an NT server.
It runs daily. The new file overlays the previous one. I would like to
format the current file , then have each new file that is created have the
same format as the previous one. We are using Excel 2003. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Start a new workbook
Record a macro when you open the .csv file
Format it the way you like
and save the data file to the new location (as a normal workbook)
Then save this macro workbook as a nice name.

Then you can open this macro workbook and rerun the macro whenever you want to
do the same thing (open, format and save).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I use the same formatting when I re-create a spreadshee

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that this spreadsheet is being created
for a group of users who may not be too experienced with Excel. Let me
change my question a bit. Currently, once the csv file is created, when I
click on it, Excel opens with the data in the proper columns, but the columns
are too small. I know it's very simple to resize them, but I'm looking for a
way to avoid that. I'd like the users to be able to click on the csv file
and have it open with the columns sized properly. Is this possible?

rhck321 wrote:

I have a mainframe job that creates a .csv file and ftp's it to an NT server.
It runs daily. The new file overlays the previous one. I would like to
format the current file , then have each new file that is created have the
same format as the previous one. We are using Excel 2003. Is this possible?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The CSV file is plain text--so no formatting is kept--that includes column
widths.

You can either do it manually or provide a macro to do the work. I don't know
any other way of doing it.

rhck321 wrote:

I have a mainframe job that creates a .csv file and ftp's it to an NT server.
It runs daily. The new file overlays the previous one. I would like to
format the current file , then have each new file that is created have the
same format as the previous one. We are using Excel 2003. Is this possible?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've now talked to my main user and we decided they can handle doing the
formatting themselves.

Thanks for your help.