Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy/paste with filters from one sheet to another?

I have 2 sheets. Sheet 1 has 50 rows of data and Sheet 2 has 14 rows of data.
I did a VLOOKUP on sheet 1 to find the matching rows on sheet 2. I filtered
the VLOOKUP with Customer does not equal#NA. Now Sheet 1 shows the same 14
rows.

On Sheet 2 I copied all 14 rows of data from Column B
I went to sheet 1 and tried to paste the data into Column B (the 14 rows
showing) but it only pasted into a few rows. I'm guessing the hidden rows
received the other data. I tried to use the paste special and the F5 special
paste visable cells only without good results. Im using Excel 2003.

** Also Excel keeps telling me that the copy area and the paste area are not
the same size even though I'm copying 14 cells and highlighting 14 cells I
need to paste into. **

I really do not want to copy each cell and paste it to the other sheets cell
as I actually have hundreds of these to do. Also I'm not that savy on code so
if you have any suggestions I would need to know exact steps needed to fix
it. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your time in helping me as this is something I use ALL
the time and until now I have been using the "old fashion" method.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After reading some post I think I can sum up that Im trying to paste arows
from a non-filtered set of data into a filtered sheet showing the same rows.
I see that up to row 14 on the filtered sheet takes the data, but those are
not the rows I want the data to fall into. How can I get it to go into the
highlighted rows I have filtered?

"krakatoakt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hiya, not sure I've got my head right round this so apologies if I'm not
making sense. From what I can gather you want the 14 rather than the 50. So
maybe if there is a correlated field it would be easier to use your lookup in
the sheet with the 14 and pull through the data you need from the 50. That
should avoid any filter problems.

Hope this helps but if not let me know.

Refresh.

"krakatoakt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Refresh...

Actually I need to put the data from the 14 into the sheet with the 50. I
did a VLOOKUP on the 50 to find all the same order numbers that are on the 14
and filtered so that now only the 14 show. I want to copy the data from the
sheet with 14 into the sheet with 50 that now only shows the same 14 orders.

When I filtered the sheet with 50 down to showing just the same 14 orders I
see rows 3, 4, 8, 14, 22, 23, 25, etc... So when I copy the data from the
sheet with just the 14 I want to paste it into these rows, but Excel 2003
will only paste into rows 3, 4, 8, and 14....and its not the correct data. I
think Excel is pasting into 1-14 but I cannot see 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, (you get
the jist) So how can I get Excel to paste into just the rows I filtered.

Thanks for helping :)

"krakatoakt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again, I can't see a way round the filtering, the data will always be out
of sync in the other sheet as far as I can tell.

However, I think you were nearly there with the vlookups. Rather than
filtering out the #N/A entries use the vlookup to pull the info you want
directly through from the 14 to the 50. I'm assuming there are unique values
that have already allowed you to use the vlookup.

If you use a vlookup like the one below it would allow data from the second
sheet to be pulled into the first. =VLOOKUP(A3,M$8:P$13,2,FALSE). The A3 is
the value you are looking for, M$8:P$13 the range to look in, the $ acts as
a place holder to stop the range changing as formula is dragged down. The 2
is the column to pull the data from. The FALSE tells xl to find exact match.

If you put this formula into a new column(s) on your main sheet and adapt it
for sheet name and particular ranges it should pull the data through and then
you would only need filter the main sheet.

Much easier to show rather than typing out- I have tried to be as clear as I
can, apologies if overly so - I hope it works but if not let me know.

Regards.