Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating the equivalent of a "hash code" for a workbook

I have a need to create a single cell value that "sums" an entire workbook
and displays that sum. The goal is to have a quick way to determine if a
printed copy of the workbook matches the electronic version without scanning
each field manually by comparing the contents of just that one cell.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 18, 3:17 pm, AMADHA wrote:
I have a need to create a single cell value that "sums" an entire workbook
and displays that sum. The goal is to have a quick way to determine if a
printed copy of the workbook matches the electronic version without scanning
each field manually by comparing the contents of just that one cell.

Any ideas?

=SUM(range1,range2,....) etc?

Am I missing something here?

Also, it's not clear that doing this will confirm that an electronic
version matches a digital version. If the value in cell A1 is
decreased by 1 and the value in B1 is increased by 1, the changes will
be a wash, and the sum will appear the same. But it's not the same
document.

Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It might be better to have separate hash sums for each column and each
row, and then problems like those identified by Dave F will be
highlighted. If you have a mixture of text and numbers, then perhaps
you can add the ASCI code of each character. It might also help you to
refer to texts on error checking in data transmission, such as cyclic
redundancy checks.

I'm not sure that a single number can be of much use to you.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 18, 9:15 pm, Dave F wrote:
On Dec 18, 3:17 pm, AMADHA wrote:

I have a need to create a single cell value that "sums" an entire workbook
and displays that sum. The goal is to have a quick way to determine if a
printed copy of the workbook matches the electronic version without scanning
each field manually by comparing the contents of just that one cell.

Any ideas?

=SUM(range1,range2,....) etc?

Am I missing something here?

Also, it's not clear that doing this will confirm that an electronic
version matches a digital version. If the value in cell A1 is
decreased by 1 and the value in B1 is increased by 1, the changes will
be a wash, and the sum will appear the same. But it's not the same
document.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

<The goal is to have a quick way to determine if a printed copy of the workbook matches the electronic version

Wouldn't a time stamp, including seconds or even tenths thereof, not be sufficient?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel