Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Transferring data between spreadsheets

I have two spreadsheets. Both spreadsheets have Material listed in Column A.
Spreadsheet 2 has a value in Column H that needs to be carried over to
Column H of Spreadsheet 1. The Material list in Spreadsheet 2 is only a
partial listing of the Material in Spreadsheet 1. How do I ask Excel to
enter a corresponding value in Spreadsheet 1 if the Material appears on
Spreadsheet 2? I inherited these spreadsheets and the first time I manually
entered the values€¦there has got to be a better way since Spreadsheet 2 has
280+ entries to be dropped among the 5000+ entries on Spreadsheet 1.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Traci P,

Use the VLOOKUP() function.

(Assuming sheet names of "Sheet1" & "Sheet2", column labels in row 1, data
in rows 2 to 100)
Enter the following formula in Sheet1!H2 and copy down as needed:

=VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$H$100,8,0)

HTH,

Conan