Karen Gudde

Default I receive excel files in .csv and cannot get them to open up in a.

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.
Yasmin

Hi, when you are attempting to open the file in excel have you selected
"Files of type" and chosen Text?. CSV stands for Comma separated value. Excel
should have no problem recognising it. it shoud then step you through the
process of formatting it for excel, just choose "," as the separator.
Also you can first see if the file has good data in it by opening it with
"note pad". In explorer right click the file and select "Open with" "Note
pad" if the file looks ok here then Excel will have no problem with it

"Karen Gudde" wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

Dave Peterson

If you open them in NotePad, do they look ok?

They should look like plain old text files. If they look different/Greek, then
you'll have to find out if the senders are sending them correctly.

If they look ok in Notepad, what happens if you try
file|open
and open the .csv file?

If none of this helps, you may want to post more details.

--

Dave Peterson
Karen Gudde

I just responded to another one--they don't look normal in notepad. I am
currently working with a file that I exported from some data in an online
gradebook. The problem is another teacher can export the data in the same
way and when she saves it as .xls instead of the .csv, it looks "normal" like
a normal excel file. But mine doesn't, even when I try changing the save as
information--it still looks all bunched together and separated by the commas.

"Karen Gudde" wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

Karen Gudde

No, they don't look normal when I open them in notepad. The one I'm
currently working with is one I did from an export from an online gradebook.
So it isn't something that someone sent me. When I export the data, it is in
..csv. When I open that, Excel opens it but the data is all bunched together
and I am trying to figure out how to get it to look like a normal grid with
its data. Any ideas?

Karen Gudde wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

The data can be all bunched together, but each field should be separated by a
comma.

If each field is not separated by commas, then maybe there's a help on that
website???

If each field is separated by commas, how are you opening it (file|open or
double clicking)?

What happens when you do it?

If you're not in the US (maybe Europe???), maybe it's as simple as the separator
being a different character (semicolon instead of a comma???).

Karen Gudde wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Karen Gudde

I am in Kansas, USA. The data is separated by commas. The problem is that
other teachers are able to change that .csv to .xls and the information is in
a grid then. I want this to happen--

Karen Gudde wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

You shouldn't have to change the filename for this to work.

If you just double click on a .csv file, excel should open the file and parse
each record nicely.

Maybe you have a different list separator in your Windows|Regional Settings.

Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings applet
WinXP: Regional Options tab
Click the customize button
Then Numbers tab|List separator.
Make sure it's a comma.

In earlier versions of windows, you won't find the Customize button--you can go
directly to the Number(s) tab.

Karen Gudde wrote:

I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can
I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to
the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work
either.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Karen Gudde

It was something else. I ended up downloading a different program that will
open them up correctly. I don't know what could be wrong with Excel on my
machine and was on the phone with Dell for 2 hours about it.

Thanks!