Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default email excel file w/ inserted objects

I'd like to set up an excel file where there are thumbnails to images but
this file will need to be emailed. IS there a way where I can attached the
image so it goes w/ the file when emailed?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once you insert those pictures, they'll be part of the excel workbook.

(You are you saving the file as a normal workbook, right???)

Is the recipient having trouble seeing your pictures when they open the
workbook? If yes, you may want to provide more details.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think I was very complete with my question.

I've created a column for the image links and within each cell there is a
"icon" of each image. The viewer sees the "thumbnail" of the image and then
would double click to see the image larger in their default image program.

When this is sent of course the file path is unknown or not found. I was
curious if this can be accomplished by fully attaching the image to the
workbook so it can be opened once received via email.....

Thanks for helping me out!!

TLS229 wrote:

I'd like to set up an excel file where there are thumbnails to images but
this file will need to be emailed. IS there a way where I can attached the
image so it goes w/ the file when emailed?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only way I know to "attach" a picture is to insert it on the worksheet--and
if your pictures are large files, then this doesn't sound practical to me.

Maybe you could tell the recipient to put all the picture files in a dedicated
folder on their C: drive. They HAVE to use the the folder name that you tell
them. Then your hyperlinks would point to the correct location.

Or maybe you could tell the recipient to put all the files (workbook and
pictures) in the same folder. Then you could use a macro that would change the
hyperlinks to point at that folder. The macro would do the work each time the
workbook is opened (in the workbook_Open event or the Auto_Open() procedure).

If the hyperlinks were inserted via: Insert|Hyperlinks, you could use the code
from David McRitchie's site:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

====
Another option may be to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function.

You could put this in an out of the way cell (I used A1):
=LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),-1+SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",A1)))

This will return the folder name that holds the workbook file (the file has to
be saved).

Then you could put the name of the file in other cells (say A2:Axxx) and use a
formula like this in B2:Bxxx:

=HYPERLINK("file:////"&$A$1&A2,"Click me")
or
=HYPERLINK("file:////"&$A$1&A2&".jpg","Click me")
(depending on what you put in A2:Axxx)