Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy and Paste Feautue

When I copy a figure that is the sum of a group of cells and try to paste the
figure in the workbook I'm working in, I cannot paste the figure. It appears
that Excel is copyies the formula and attempts to calculate the formula for
the new cell. When I copy the figure and paste to a new workbook, I can paste
the figure i copied? What is causing me not to be able to copy and paste the
figure in the same workbook I'm working in? Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click the figure you want copied (the one figured by the formula) and copy it
using your preferred method (Ctrl+V and the like...)

Select the cell you want to paste the figure to and select EditPaste
Special...

At the prompt, select "Value" and click "OK"

"ManhattanRebel" wrote:

When I copy a figure that is the sum of a group of cells and try to paste the
figure in the workbook I'm working in, I cannot paste the figure. It appears
that Excel is copyies the formula and attempts to calculate the formula for
the new cell. When I copy the figure and paste to a new workbook, I can paste
the figure i copied? What is causing me not to be able to copy and paste the
figure in the same workbook I'm working in? Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. The copying between one sheet and another in the same workbook will copy the
formula. EditPaste SpecialValues if you want just the value.

Same for copying between workbooks if you have one instance of Excel running.

2. The copying between workbooks and just getting the value means you have two
instances of Excel running with a workbook open in each instance.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP