Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to get a cell to only update when worksheet is opened?

Hi. I'm setting up a workbook (not shared) that will be copied and then used
by different people to generate "job quotes". The workbook will be populated
by the user with data & then saved each time under a different name.
I'm trying to work out a way of generting a unique reference number that can
be combined with the users initials to provide a combined "unique quote
number". The number doesn't have to be sequential, it just needs to be unique
for every job quote, which is actually a separate copy of the work book.
I was attempting to use "NOW()" function to use the count number derived
from time. The problem is that the cell with this formula dynamically updates
everytime something else changes on the worksheet. I only want to to update
when the workbook is opened for the first time. Is there an equivelent way of
achieving "Paste Special Cell Value"?
I can't use a Macro, because the security settings at work prohibit macros
Any ideas please
Thanks in anticipation
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Steve,

You would need to have the user copy the cell with your function and then do a paste special value
to remove the formula, and then have them save the file under a different name. You could use macros
to do this, but.....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP