Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default i want to highlight entire row when selecting a cell in that row

I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson has a RowLiner addin he

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm

This does something similar to what you want.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 7, 4:07 am, Dino wrote:
I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default i want to highlight entire row when selecting a cell in that r

Pete, thanks. That works somewhat like I want. I had some problems
downloading Rowliner. It said something about signed certificates or I needed
to downgrade security on macros. But, when i opened Excel, it was there. Is
there a way to highlight the row with color instead of outlines? Again,
thanks for your knowledge. ....Dino

On Dec 7, 4:07 am, Dino wrote:
I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default i want to highlight entire row when selecting a cell in that

Gord, thanks, I thought about that and have used auto filter many times and
it is very useful, but in this case, 99% of the people accessing this file
will not be able to do that because of lack of Excel knowledge. I want it to
be automatic for them. To find the stock number and the information will be
clear as a bell to them. I'm the person who made the file and I want the
procedure to be easy for them.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Have you thought about DataFilterAutofilter?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:07:00 -0800, Dino wrote:

I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK.

How will they know which stock number to look for?

You could use some VLOOKUP formulas to return the info if the users were able to
type a stock number into a cell.

With your lookup table range of A1:D3000 on sheet1.

In B2 of sheet2 enter

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet1!$A$1:$D$3000,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A2,
Sheet1!$A$1:$D$3000,2,FALSE))

Copy across to D2 changing the column reference from 2 to 3 to 4

Enter a stock number in A2 and the info will appear in B2, C2, D2

You could if you wanted, provide a Data Validation dropdown list in A2 for users
to choose a stock number.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Have you thought about DataFilterAutofilter?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:07:00 -0800, Dino wrote:

I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think so, but you could adjust the weight of the horizontal
lines to 3.0 for a very thick line.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 7, 4:07 am, Dino wrote:
I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord, They actually get the stock number from a different file while
receiving and processing airplane parts. They copy the stock number from a
particular screen and then toggle to the Excel program and use the "find"
feature and paste that stock number to it and Excel will then sort and find
that number on the list. Your formula looks interesting and it sounds like it
would make isolating the particular stock number automatic if they pasted the
stock number into A2. Right? Thanks for the information.......Dino

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Have you thought about DataFilterAutofilter?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:07:00 -0800, Dino wrote:

I have column 1 consisting of about 3000 stock numbers. Columns 2. 3, and 4
have related information pertaining to those stock numbers in column 1. Using
the "find" feature, I "zero in" on a certain stock number and then have
access to the related info. I want, when the particular stock number is
found, for that entire row to be highlighted so I can retrieve that
information more easily. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there a way to use the Add-in program "Rowliner" on a protected sheet? It
works when you unprotect sheet, but not when you protect it. Unfortunately,
some of my employees can't be trusted with unprotected sheets. But, we need
to use Rowliner, also. Thanks, what should I do?