Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Matching data on two workbooks

Hi,

I have two workbooks with different types of data about the same groups of
people.

There is one column containing an ID number which is common to both files.

I wanted to copy matching data from one worksheet to the other and thought I
would just sort both workbooks on ID number and copy ID number column and the
other data column. Sounded simple until I realised that the ID number is
repeated for different numbers of rows from 14 to 31 containing different
data about the person. Currently I'm cutting and pasting data matching
manually but there are over 15000 rows.

So if anyone can suggest a method of doing this I would be so HAPPY!

Thank you in advance
cheers

--
Mifty
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip has a ton of stuff about duplicates
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mifty" wrote in message

I have two workbooks with different types of data about the same groups of
people.

There is one column containing an ID number which is common to both files.

I wanted to copy matching data from one worksheet to the other and thought
would just sort both workbooks on ID number and copy ID number column and
the
other data column. Sounded simple until I realised that the ID number is
repeated for different numbers of rows from 14 to 31 containing different
data about the person. Currently I'm cutting and pasting data matching
manually but there are over 15000 rows.

So if anyone can suggest a method of doing this I would be so HAPPY!

Thank you in advance
cheers

--
Mifty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the link Bernard

I've had a quick look through but can't find anything that will help with
this problem but lots of stuff for looking at later. Thanks again.

I should have said that what I need is to match up the ID column and copy
over information about gender. So that on the workbook which has numerous
occurences of the ID number I need to copy the gender in another column for
each of the new rows.

Not explaining myself very well.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

--
Mifty

"Mifty" wrote in message

I have two workbooks with different types of data about the same groups of
people.

There is one column containing an ID number which is common to both files.

I wanted to copy matching data from one worksheet to the other and thought
would just sort both workbooks on ID number and copy ID number column and
the
other data column. Sounded simple until I realised that the ID number is
repeated for different numbers of rows from 14 to 31 containing different
data about the person. Currently I'm cutting and pasting data matching
manually but there are over 15000 rows.

So if anyone can suggest a method of doing this I would be so HAPPY!

Thank you in advance
cheers

--
Mifty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Just in case this is of help to anyone else, I solved this by using Index
and Match functions as explained
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html. There is a downloadable worked
spreadsheet.

=Index(range containing gender,Match(cellref of ID value to
match,RangeIDValues,0))

ranges were absolute values in workbook 2 cell ref to match in workbook 1.

Cheers
--
Mifty