Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RJB RJB is offline

Default Subtotalling Filtered Data Across Sheets

I have three sheets of data. (150,000+ rows of data).

I am using Filters to extract data I'd like to see.

I am using SUBTOTAL (3,|RANGE|) to count how many rows I have that fit that
filtered criteria, on each sheet.

I have a cell where I add the values of the SUBTOTALS for each sheet.

But I have to make sure that I have the *same* filters applied on all three
sheets. Is there a way to do that? Or to at least show what filter is applied
on other sheets?

Here's an example:
Let's say I have two columns: "Bands" (Col. A) and "Albums" (Col. B).
On Sheet1, I have all albums from the 1970's.
On Sheet2, I have all albums from the 1980's.
On Sheet3, I have all albums from the 1990's.
On Sheet4, I have all albums from the 2000's.

I want to know how many Bruce Springsteen albums I have total.

So, on each sheet, I select Data-Filter-AutoFilter.

On the Filter, I click on "Bruce Springsteen".

On each sheet, I have a cell (B1) with the following:
=SUBTOTAL(3,B3:B65536)

This returns the number of Bruce Springsteen records I have on each sheet.
(Sheet1=4, Sheet2=5, Sheet3=3, Sheet4=4).

That's all well and good, but I'd like to know how many TOTAL Springsteen
records I've got.

So on Sheet4, I have a cell C1:
=Sheet1!B1+Sheet2!B1+Sheet3!B1+B1

However, it's possible to screw up and accidentally select "Poison" on the
1980's tab (Sheet2). And I won't know it because I'm just looking at Sheet4.

SO.... Is there a way that I can select all my data that meets the filter
criteria ("Bruce Springsteen") on all sheets? If not, can I put "check" cells
in that will SHOW me what's selected on other sheets?

Thanks