Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Mysterious multiple copies of Excel documents

Occasionally, I find that "ghost copies" of a currently open Excel file
will show up in the task bar. If the original tab in question is called
"MyFile.xls", the new tab will be called "Microsoft Excel - MyFile.xls".
Usually, just one "ghost" will appear, but I've seen up to 4 copies at
once. They also show up in the Task Manager.

The effect of this is Excel stalls for somewhere between a few seconds
and many minutes (if you get more than one ghost, prepare to wait a
loooooong time). It can happen (at least) during opening of files,
saving of files, or when VBA code is running.

It existed in Excel 2003, and seems to have worsened using 2007.

Anyone recognise these symptoms/know why it's happening/know a
resolution?

--
David J Richardson --
http://davidj.richardson.name/ - Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews