Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default crossreferencing duplicate entries

Hi,

Haven't used Excel much, so I'm trying to find out how to do something that
I imagine is very simple.

I have a list of addresses and I want to filter it so I get only entries
that have two categories that exactly match another entry (for instance last
name and zip code) so that I can delete duplicate addresses.

Any ideas how I would go about doing something like this? Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks!

-Zach
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, that is very helpful.

It says I can use conditional formatting with the formula
=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$11,B2)1 to highlight duplicates in one category.

This is probably incredibly simple, but how do I modify the formula so it
only highlights if they match in two categories? Thanks.

Zach

Visit Chip's site at www.cpearson.com
He has lots on duplicates
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Zach Gold" <Zach wrote in message

Haven't used Excel much, so I'm trying to find out how to do something
that
I imagine is very simple.

I have a list of addresses and I want to filter it so I get only entries
that have two categories that exactly match another entry (for instance
last
name and zip code) so that I can delete duplicate addresses.

Any ideas how I would go about doing something like this? Any help would
be
appreciated. Thanks!

-Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=AND(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$11,B2)1,COUNTIF($C$2:$C$11,C 2)1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Zach Gold" wrote in message
Thanks, that is very helpful.

It says I can use conditional formatting with the formula
=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$11,B2)1 to highlight duplicates in one category.

This is probably incredibly simple, but how do I modify the formula so it
only highlights if they match in two categories? Thanks.

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem with this algorithm is that it returns entries that match others
in both areas regardless of whether the matches are in the same entry. For
example if I have the list:

John Cincinnati
Zach New York
Zach Cincinnati

The last entry will be highlighted although it is not a true duplicate. In
addition, this algorithm is incredibly inefficient for a long list, however
I'm willing to make due as long as I can get this to work. Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Zach

"Zach Gold" wrote in message
Thanks, that is very helpful.

It says I can use conditional formatting with the formula
=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$11,B2)1 to highlight duplicates in one category.

This is probably incredibly simple, but how do I modify the formula so it
only highlights if they match in two categories? Thanks.

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more thing, after I format my entire spreadsheet (nearly 12,000 entries)
it becomes too slow to scroll through. I figured I could solve this by
saving the file and closing excel, but when I try to reopen it excel freezes.
I understand that the formatting is incredibly processor intensive, but once
it is done shouldn't the spreadsheet run just like before?

"Zach Gold" wrote in message
Thanks, that is very helpful.

It says I can use conditional formatting with the formula
=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$11,B2)1 to highlight duplicates in one category.

This is probably incredibly simple, but how do I modify the formula so it
only highlights if they match in two categories? Thanks.

Zach

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lastly, once I apply the conditional formatting, I cannot remove the
highlighting on a single entry, which is necessary for when I check the list
for errors. This doesn't really make sense to me, as I assumed it is just
using normal formatting which I should be able to change at will. What is up
with this?